What should you expect when getting a logo designed?
Having a professionally designed logo is essential to your brands identity. It is important to hire a graphic designer that can produce a design that represents you as a business. However getting to the finish line in the process of design may not always seem straightforward. So what should you expect when it comes to having a logo designed?
Firstly I would say the process starts in getting a logo designed when the right questions are asked. An agency or designer should be trying to understand you as a business, what your values are, how you want to be perceived by your customers and what sort of emotional response you want when they see your logo that represents you in a single mark, which can include an image, symbol, words, custom typography and other font use. As a business it maybe required that not just a logo but an identity system is required.
In being asked vital questions it will help you know that the agency/designer understands you and will give you confidence that they see things from the right perspective. It is your business after all. An ideal scenario would be they see things more clearly than you do which can then spark more questions which reveal more of the qualities and identity of your business which can then be put in the visual form of your logo.
It is also important at this stage to do a little research yourself in regards to what logo styles you like. These maybe within your industry or inline with current design trends. This may serve as a guild for the designer to take on board before beginning to process.
So once the questions have been asked and the research has been done it would then be the time to get a few things established in moving forward. You will need to know the following from your designer:
- Time frame: How long will the design(s) take. This maybe a set amount of time the designer allocates but will depend on the number of concepts are offered or that you require. Which leads on to the next one.
- Quantity: How many designs will you be getting for the cost. There maybe different packages that the designer offers so make sure you know what to expect.
- Communication: This is vital with all projects a designer may undertake for you. Throughout any process communication must be maintained.
- Feedback & changes: Once the first concepts have been produced explanation of the designs will be presented and your feedback will be required. Changes may need to be made. You should be listened to and come to mutual understanding of the next stages in the design process.
- Revisions: How many revisions will you get with your chosen design before the final concept is produced. This should be specified by the agency or designer.
- File formats: Once you have the finished design it should be supplied in various file formats. These should include, ai. png. Jpeg eps. And any others that maybe relevant to what you may need the designs for.
- Colour palette: You will need to know the colours that have been used in your design. Having the colours (RGB, CMYK, HEX) are needed as you will want them to be consistent when used with other branded elements of your business. Make sure you have this information.
- Font use: It could be that certain fonts have been used in the creation of your logo. If not supplied make sure you ask what has been used as the fonts can be used across other printed and web material, again keeping your brands identity as consistent as possible.
- Cost: I almost forgot this one, if they have a package for you to choose or need specifics before you get a quote make sure you know the price. A deposit should be required before beginning the process.
I hope these points have helped if you are looking for an agency or designer to produce a logo design for your business. Any other points that come to mind I will certainly add in the future. Please get in touch with me should you need these services or require branding, a website or other cool stuff to promote your brand.