Social Media Image Sizes
How to create your social media cover photos
Before we get started its important you have the right software which you can use to create your social media cover photos. You will not need advanced design skills for this, you can download software such as Photoshop from the Adobe website. The advantage of using this software is it will allow you to create an accurate representation of how you want to portray yourself or your business. Having this software available will then help you in the future with other image based tasks you might need to carry out. Other software I would recommend is Canva or Gimp which are both free to download.
Other elements to consider
Imagery: This should represent your business, preferably not a stock photo but something which portrays who you are and what you do.
Colours: If your looking to include other elements as well as just an image make sure that they fit with your brands colour scheme. Some cover photos which I have designed for clients include a list of services which was in their primary colour. In some cases the image has a a colour overlay.
Typography: This should have be consistent with your brand. There should be continuity with font choice across your website, logo, marketing material and social media graphics.
- For the cover photo it is 820 px (w) by 340 px (h)
- Best format would be RGB JPG file.
- For the logo dimensions it needs to be 180px by 180px.
One really helpful tool which I have just found out about is timeline slicer. This allows you to save and download the various images from facebook so you have templates to hand.
Profile Header: 1500px (w) by 500px (h). Panoramas work well. While 1500px x 500px is the recommended size
Profile picture: 400px by 400px. It’s displayed as a square image with rounded corners (the corners are applied automatically) Also take into consideration that twitter applies a white border
- Make sure you take into consideration that the image is going to get scaled and re-cropped depending on the user’s browser or device used.
- As twitter uses compression with cover photos you will want to save your file in the best quality you can. JPEG or PNG-24 are the best options.
- A free tool you can use to create your header images is Fotor for twitter, it takes you through step by step to create a unique twitter header image, very simple to use.
On the Linkedin website these dimensions are laid out as follows.
Background images must be:
- File type JPG, GIF or PNG.
- No larger than 8MB.
- Recommended pixel dimensions are 1584px (w) x 396px (h).
- For Googles cover photo image the image should be 1080px (w) x 608px (h) (aspect ratio of 135:76, which is very close to 16:9).
- For the Profile Image it should be 250px x 250px
23 Littlehaven Lane, Horsham,
West Sussex, RH12 4JF
Phone: 0742 963 9268